1989 June (Vol. 1, no. 1) MISSING
1989 July (Vol. 1, no. 2)
Corradine Myers writes about Island news. Mentioned: Birds nesting, Golden wedding celebration for Bernice & Jim Terwilliger; St. Michaels church; Martha & Joe Onders celebrated Golden 5 years ago; Lee and Corridine Myers’ Golden 2 years ago and in another article Maybell & Stephen Kekelik celebrated their 65th anniversary.. Lori Deboard & Pat Hayes were married; The Inn; Former Mayor Bob Schartz died; Carole Krzynowek; Home Town News; Estes School graduation at Kelley’s Hall – Chris Van Auken (parents Dave and Sharon) graduated and Terri Bianchi graduated from the 8th grade. Lisa Matso graduated from St. Mary’s Central Catholic High. K I Historical Assoc held 3rd annual tour of homes; June Campbell; Jessie Martin. Hank Knapp went into hospital, Martha Onders had surgery, and Chuck Herndon broke 2 ankles in an accident. New Homes: Joann Wilson & Ken Neufer partners in the Fly Inn. Homecoming judges: Poppy Hodgson, Maggie Murray, Jessica Murray, Lee & Corradine Myers.Millie Smallbrook (her late husband Bud), Milton Blatt, Ted Blatt, Pastor Walton, Mr and Mrs Finnegan, Inscription Rock.
Gardening tips. Our new EMT’s by Lori Hayes: Cathy Coffman, Stacy DeBoard, Gary and Jackie Finger, Kristie Huber, Ken Neufer, Joann Wilson Terry Kranyak, Wayne Neuman and includes a little bio of each. How to make fabric-faced shutters. Household hints and personal flotation device information. Classified: help wanted-bus driver, for sale and rent and aerobics at the park pavilion.
1989 August(Vol. 1, no. 3)
Corradine writes about Island activities: Ground breaking for addition to Zion Community Church to house kitchen, rest rooms and an office. To be called the Mary L in memory of Pastor Walton’s wife.Lee Myers and Elderberry wine. Lee, Corradine and Ronnie tour Jake & Jessie Martin’s new home. They also toured Mary & Ray Mansell’s home. Ann & Don Haas have an octagonal house. Rosetta Navorska celebrated her 90th birthday. Others mentioned: Jim & Poppy Hodgson and granddaughter Jessica (Maggie’s daughter)Hank Knapp died. Golden Anniversaries: Martha & Joe Onders, Lee & Corradine Myers, Bernice & Jim Terwilliker.
The Inn has its 6th Annual Victorian Lawn Party and is included on the world tour of the Perotti-Dutt Duo (4 hands, one piano) and will give a Victorian concert at the lawn party. The Inn was built in 1876 and became an Inn about 1905.
Mark Bonnell discusses improvements at the campground: additional 24 sites road resurfaced, trailer pads installed. Two shower houses and one wash house completed and Flush Toilets! Other improvements planned: upgrade the north dock, construct a boat launch ramp, put in a large parking lot and latrine at the beach. Also a naturalist program.
Pictures from Islandfest ’89.
History of the fire dept. formed around 1941, past known fire chiefs: Howard Brown, Lloyd Marchky, Henry Beatty, Larence Betzenheimer, Ronald Beatty, David Phinney, John Kilko, Wayne Finger, Roy Fox, Steve James and Jim St. Julian. Members include: John Kilko, Claude Smith, Rob Holmes, Robert Coulon, Shane Delvin, Gary Finger, Robert Golias, Ken Neufer, Joanne Wilson, Wayne Neumann & Kim Watkins.
Editor Carole Krzynowek writes: Sharon & son Steven Krzynowek visit the Camp Patmos pool; what is the Yellow Chinese Bata trapped in a tree trunk; the Casino. In another column: Tommy & Debbie Taylor (Griffing Airlines) hare new parents. Baby’s name is Cody Michael; Edward Lentz is in the hospital (shot on Kelleys Island); the Jet Express came to KI to take stranded passengers back to Sandusky as the Goodtime I and the City of Sandusky could make the return trip; Annual pig roast put on by Quality Education Group; thanks to Cindy Herndon and Lois Giles for story hours.
Dick Kadlec writes about the Island Softball team, its 19 members. Team jerseys were fdonated by Gary Finger from the Pump and the VFW Post 9908 donated their caps. Finger and Scott Lauber transport the team in their private boats to away games and Neuman Boat line does some trips.
1989 September-October (Vol. 1, no. 4)
Corradine writes: Pat & Lori Hayes and The Inn; Victorian Lawn Party; Godfried Schock died; Zion United Methodist church; Maybelle & Steve Kekelik are home; Martha Onders recovering; Ann Ludu fell; Chuck Herndon injures his hand; Richard DeBoard in the hospital.
Kim Bonnell writes about the library: Cindra Mielke and Lois Giles, story time, crafts. Winter hours Wednesday 10:30 to 12:30. Henry Knapp’s School board seat not yet filled. Mark Bonnell writes about the State Park: fall camping, fishing, Jeff North new park ranger, Dennis Warge campground coordinator. Chris VanAuken, Jason Pendleton, Chris Miller & Michelle Schodowski are Natural Resource Aides and Ted Winerfeld is Naturalist.
Zebra Mussels blamed for poor fishing, gardening tips, Mary Schock’s poem. Full page thank you list from the Chamber of Commerce for 19th KILA Homecoming(way too many to list). There is a cake recipe, handy kitchen food hints, a Wednesday night bridge group, including David Phinney and Rob McCullough. Father Bruce Farmer visits Maybelle Kekelik. Harvest Fest (a Chamber event put on by the Inns & Bed & Breakfasts) will be Sept. 30.
Dick Kadlec writes about the Softball team: Played against the Round House and Marblehead Coast Guard and Sandusky Firemens team. Mentioned John & Virginia Neuman, Jackie & Gary Finger, Pattie Johnson, Nick Bianchi, Rob Coulon, Jim St. Julian.
Some of the known past Mayors are: H. Beatty Beltz, L. Bertzenheimer, M. Brennan, Ro. Brown, W. Brown, W. Elfers, H. Marchky, R. McCullough, W. Overcasher, E. Ward M. McCune, R. Scheartz, T. Starkweather. Police Chiefs: A. Derringer, F. Haig, F. Martin, N. McKillips, Cl. Moore and H. Prinz. Between 1930-1960 there were 40 known men and women to hold aviation licenses who lived on Kelleys. 23 owned their own planes.
Miscellaneous: Dante & Omar Zettler (sons of Eleanor & Roby Zettler) won scholastic honors; Cindra Mielke; Lois Giles offered piano and voice lesions; Kelly Price; Staci DeBoard Price; Katie & Sarah Finnegan. Thank you: Kim & Rob Watkins, Sis Bradburn, Laurie James, Nancy Donly and Lori Deel.
1989 Nov-Dec (Vol. 1 no. 5)
From the Desk of Corradine: news includes these people – Florence Sabol’s son died; Gerry Bickley and her dad Henny Beatty; Ethel Fox has been ill; Lou Giglotti; Ruth Dorsey; Dr. Towle died. Also: Chuck Herndon, wife Cindy and mother; Dr. Larsen; Pat & Lori Hayes; Pastor Walton; Jim & Pat Seeholzer; build a new home; Russ & Bea Matso and their Election Night Pot Luck; the Landowners Assoc hold a Candidates Forum; Mark & Kim Bonnell baptize their baby son. Paula Haig marries; Paul Mack’s daughter marries; Popeye’s have winter closing party.
Jessie Martin writes about Datus & Irad Kelley: their Uncle Joshua Stow, Brother-in-law Chester Deal, Rockport Datus’ sons Julius and Addison and a little history about the early settling of the Island.
Tide-ings by Sandy Spayd – the Chamber sponsored a Browns Football cruise. Mentioned: George (Skip) Smith, Rob McCullagh, Doug McCullagh and Sally Fresch. Update from Council included the approval of Kellstone’s request to demolish the silos on the dock and the retaining wall along Lake Shore Rd. People mentioned: Police Chief Charlie Moore, Koster’s Dock.
Shore Thing by Carole Krzynowek – Mentioned:; Sharon (Nowak) Hillyer, Griffing Airlines, Dawn Kekelik’s daughter (Dotty Harris) marries Jack Smith. Charlie (her son) participated and Candy Lee made the cake. Paula Haig, daughter of Pat & Ken eloped with Paul Moody. Also: Sue Griffing, Ranger Dennis Warga (who fell), Phyllis Pahler, Laurie James. Miscellaneous:; Caroline DeBoard, Shane Delin, Volley Ball in the Town Hall, Ken Neufer, Griffing’s flight schedule and building a floral plaque. By Mary Lesczynski.
A little history about the quarry: John Titus opened a quarry at the West Bay in 1845 with a small dock. 1867 Titus & Calkins enlarged the dock. Capt. Ed Collins bought the quarry in 1872, sold it to KI Lime & Transport Co. in 1891. 1897 the dock was enlarged. 1903 new dock built. 1911 a new dock was built with 24 pockets holding 340 tons of limestone. 1924 the tunnel & conveyor belt built. 1923, original lumber trestle was replaced with a steel one. 1942, Ward & Wheeler scarps machinery and material. Louie Wells took down the steel unit using the barge, Norman Kelley. The pocket dock was demolished in 1989.