SeaScape
A Kelleys Island Newsletter

After the Home Town news folded,  Carole Krzynowek decided to keep the news coming and became the editor and publisher of SeaScape. the first issue appeared in June 1989 and the last issue was June-July 1991.Beachcombings: KI Chamber, KI Historical, KI Landowners, Jennifer Koba, Island Singers, St. Michael’s Catholic Church, Zion United Methodist Sunday School, BFW Bingo and a Valentines Day pie recipe.

            Corradine writes: Ed Ehrbar & Jack Schock died. Nov. 17 the third attempt to take down the West Bay loading dock implosion was successful. Once call the slag loader. Jim Palladino, Seaway Marina, Annual Village Christmas Pot Luck, Martha Onders, Henny Beatyty, Lou Gigliotti, A School Play for Christmas, Lee/Corradine/Ronnie Myers, Lucille Mathews, Frank & Laura Jean Pohorence, Russ & Bea Matso and VFW New Year’s Eve parties. Jean Dwelle goes to nursing home, will be 88 years old. Also mentioned Jessie and Jake Martin. Christmas decorations: St. Julian, Bianchi, Pohorence, Watkins, LaVerne Ehrbar, Jim Seeholzer, Gruly, the Zion church, downtown park. Jake Martin had Hughie Lange take him to the mainland for his trip to Florida.

            Jessie Martin writes about Addison Kelley’s early days on the Island. Recap from the Council meeting includes final covering of the dump, South Haven (Bill Gorchester) land split and 3rd reading of Dan Ahner’s Monarch Winery parcel zoning change. Poor condition of Sweetbriar roads (that village now owns).

            Election update: Levies, Bianchi, Curilla, Haas, Martin, Matso, Neufer, Pascoe, Yoscovits, Seeholzer, Beatty, Farmer. Fireman’s Ball to be Saturday Feb. 17; $12 per person, Mad Dog Adams to play.

            Bits of a Whale’s Tale – First ice fishermen were Ron Beatty and Jerry Bozic. A list of some known fish companies and fishermen: Pete Ditchey, John Ditchey, Sandusky Fish Co., Lay Bros. Fish Co., Post Fish Co., Booth Fish Co., United Fisheries, Navorska & Steinkamp, 5 B’s, Francis Betzenheimer, DeBrobe, Ben Elfers, Robert Bickley, Herb Eckly Jr., and Robert Kleba, Herb Beckley, Len Beckly, EWalter Seymour, Jack Sennish, Beatty & Schultz, Beatty & Elfers, Alphonse & Clarles Erne, Charles Erne & Sons, Orville Lange, Lee& Nelson Dwelle and Mike Riedy. Nancy Kelley’s house and Kelley’s Hall were built in 1861. Efler’s store was build in 1890 and the Zion church in 1893. Estes school-1901, airport constructed in 1949. There are 6 carriage stones on the Island.​

1990 January-February(Vol. 2 no. 1)

Beachcombings: KI Chamber, KI Historical, KI Landowners, Jennifer Koba, Island Singers, St. Michael’s Catholic Church, Zion United Methodist Sunday School, BFW Bingo and a Valentines Day pie recipe.
            Corradine writes: Ed Ehrbar & Jack Schock died. Nov. 17 the third attempt to take down the West Bay loading dock implosion was successful. Once call the slag loader. Jim Palladino, Seaway Marina, Annual Village Christmas Pot Luck, Martha Onders, Henny Beatyty, Lou Gigliotti, A School Play for Christmas, Lee/Corradine/Ronnie Myers, Lucille Mathews, Frank & Laura Jean Pohorence, Russ & Bea Matso and VFW New Year’s Eve parties. Jean Dwelle goes to nursing home, will be 88 years old. Also mentioned Jessie and Jake Martin. Christmas decorations: St. Julian, Bianchi, Pohorence, Watkins, LaVerne Ehrbar, Jim Seeholzer, Gruly, the Zion church, downtown park. Jake Martin had Hughie Lange take him to the mainland for his trip to Florida.
            Jessie Martin writes about Addison Kelley’s early days on the Island. Recap from the Council meeting includes final covering of the dump, South Haven (Bill Gorchester) land split and 3rd reading of Dan Ahner’s Monarch Winery parcel zoning change. Poor condition of Sweetbriar roads (that village now owns).
            Election update: Levies, Bianchi, Curilla, Haas, Martin, Matso, Neufer, Pascoe, Yoscovits, Seeholzer, Beatty, Farmer. Fireman’s Ball to be Saturday Feb. 17; $12 per person, Mad Dog Adams to play.
            Bits of a Whale’s Tale – First ice fishermen were Ron Beatty and Jerry Bozic. A list of some known fish companies and fishermen: Pete Ditchey, John Ditchey, Sandusky Fish Co., Lay Bros. Fish Co., Post Fish Co., Booth Fish Co., United Fisheries, Navorska & Steinkamp, 5 B’s, Francis Betzenheimer, DeBrobe, Ben Elfers, Robert Bickley, Herb Eckly Jr., and Robert Kleba, Herb Beckley, Len Beckly, EWalter Seymour, Jack Sennish, Beatty & Schultz, Beatty & Elfers, Alphonse & Clarles Erne, Charles Erne & Sons, Orville Lange, Lee& Nelson Dwelle and Mike Riedy. Nancy Kelley’s house and Kelley’s Hall were built in 1861. Efler’s store was build in 1890 and the Zion church in 1893. Estes school-1901, airport constructed in 1949. There are 6 carriage stones on the Island.

1990 March-April (Vol. 2 no. 2) NOT DONE YET

1990 May (Vol. 2, no. 3) MISSING


1990 June (Vol. 2, no. 4) NOT DONE YET

1990 June (Vol. 2, no. 4) MISSING

1990 July (Vol. 2, no. 5) NOT DONE YET

1990 August (Vol. 2 no. 6) NOT DONE YET

1990 Sept-Oct (Vol. 2, no. 7) NOT SCANNED YET
Corradine Myers writes: Wedding of Carolynne Neuman (daughter of John & Virginia Newman) married Dante Zettler (son of Toby & Nora Zettler) at the Zion church. (others mentioned: Anne Neuman Riggs, Sue Kulka, Patti Johnson, Maria & Maggie Ellis, Jody Zettler Ellis, Omar Zettler, Erik Zettler, Mark Yako, Tom Miller, Kirt & Robby Zettler. Reception at the picnic pavilion. Raccoons got into Turkey nest in Jake Martin’s field. Bea Matso had a surprise birthday party for her Mom (Sis McKillips). Connie & Phillip Matso and baby attended. Jessie Martin writes book “the Beginnings and Tales of the Lake Erie Islands.” Sue Griffing died, Harry Griffing hospitalized. Elmer Craft suffered a stroke. Charlie Brown improve (wife Ann). Judy & Lenny Weintraub left the island. The Island Singers is formed: Jennifer Koba, Barb/Bob/Rob Behlen, Sandy Bokerman, Carolyn Deboard, Vicky Finnegan, Carole Frindt, Louis Giles, Annalee, Guy Landis, Sandy Spayd, Vicky Staas, Tim Koba and Phyllis Pahler
            Shore Thing by Carole Krzynowek – Mentioned: Ted/Bonnie/Justin Blatt. VFW replaces flags. Freeda & Ken Knapp visit. Cathy & Lee Verlinger move to KI. Joanne & bob Golias are grandparents. A character named “Chip.
            Batters Box by Dick Kadlec – Report on 1990 League softball. Mentioned: Jim/Carmen/Angela Palladino, Ken Haig, John & Annie Ludu. The Original Beach boys by Jessie A. Martin – A history of some of the original settlers on the island
            Recipe for Pumpkin Crunch Cream Pie. Lyme Disease hints. Photos from the Homecoming Parade 1990 (mentioned Vicky Staas, Mayor Rob McCullagh, Grand Marshalls, Jeanette & George Cleary, Rev. Walton, Ted Blatt, Chris Wise, Mielke, Seeholzer and Carolee Frindt.
            Council: Committee reports, Fresch’s Island House requests reconsideration of their zoning, grant received  for Port Development Study, Subdivision Rules ordinance passed. Water plant to be updated.
            Fishin’ by Grampa Walleye – update on fishing and Zebra mussels. Girl’s Drill Team, New to the Island is the Lion’s Den Gallery at the Casino Dock (Brad Styles and Alex Kovacs)

1990 November (Vol. 2, no. 8) NOT DONE YET

1991 Jan-Feb (Vol. 2, no. 1) NOT DONE YET

1991 March-April (Vol. 3, no. 2) NOT DONE YET

1991 May (Vol. 3, no. 3) NOT DONE YET

1991 June-July (Vol. 3, no. 4) NOT INDEXED YET