Kelleys Island Ferry was founded in 1907 by John Paul Neuman with the
purchase of his first boat, the 43 foot M/V Alton on which he
transported people between Lakeside, Ohio and East Harbor State Park.
During the spring and fall, he offered some island service, fishing,
party-type service and towed scows. Eventually J.P. started building his
The last two boats he personally built were the M/V Messenger
in 1921, and the M/V Mascot in 1925. These two boats serviced the
company until the late 40's and 50's, when the company expanded by
offering service to Kelleys Island from Marblehead OH. The newly
designed, open-ended ferry, the M/V Corsair proved to be so popular two
additional ferries, the M/V Commuter and M/V Kelley Islander were added.
the Neuman Ferry website.